Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 28

I'm reading a book right now called The Beginner's Guide to Fasting.  Pretty good.  Straightforward advice.  One of the things the author talks about is making sure you know why you are fasting.  He talks a lot about knowing the purpose of your fast to help you stay focussed.  I agree with this... to a point.  I get a little wary when we talk about spiritual disciplines in terms of what they may accomplish, get, or provide.  I think it is good to have a purpose for your fast but it misses a little of the intrinsic nature of fasting.  For example, we study "to" show ourselves approved, "to" learn, "to" obtain knowledge.  But we also study "because of" God's goodness, and the joy it brings us.  We pray intercessory prayer and lift up requests "for" God to answer.  But hopefully we also pray "because" we love sharing our hearts and listening for the will of God.  Sometimes I call my mom to tell her something.  Sometimes I call her because I miss her and just want to hear her voice.

I think fasting can be the same way...  Its the difference ....sometimes...between talking on the phone and in person.  Sometimes the phone is just fine.  But sometimes you want a more intimate connection.  I know this is an imperfect comparison but it does demonstrate why I am fasting.... Its not just to get "things" (guidance, inspiration, closer relationship with God) but also because of what I have already been "given" (guidance, inspiration, closer relationship with God).

Weight is still the same.

Funny story from yesterday....walking around with your fly open is embarrassing no matter what.  Its a little less so though when you are wearing a second pair of pants under the first pair.  lol.  You gotta do what you gotta do to keep warm....



Hope you are all well.

No comments:

Post a Comment