Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 11

Well I wasn't able to weigh in again today because of the snow but...I'm feeling OK.

Some guys talk about how they carry around their spare tire as they get older.  Mine was never really more than a scooter tire but it is almost all gone now!  lol.  Also, it seems my fast has also curbed my appetite for fingernails which I have been trying to quit for some time.  No biting so far in 2011!

Piper has some great things in his book today relating to Jesus' 40 day fast.  He showed very clearly the connections with the Israelites wandering in the desert.  Jesus' responses to the Devil were quotes from Deuteronomy where the Israelites wandered for 40 years because of their disobedience.

Is there power in 40 days in and of itself?  I don't think so.  But symbolism is powerful.  Fasting without any regard for heavenly things will produce physiological results.  Fasting with faith in the spiritual power of  this symbolism is impacting.

Why I fast is something I have to keep reminding myself of.  I want God to hold Preeminence in my life.  I become enslaved to so many things and am constantly reminded of it.  I like fasting to demonstrate my will to others (pride).  I like fasting to provide an example to others (constructive but secondary).  I like fasting because of the health benefits.

I want to continue to fast to remind myself I need God.  I want God.  I want to develop a craving for God.
I don't always want any of these.

 I have allowed food among other things to become a substitute.

I didn't like it when I first quit drinking colas for healthier beverages..... (I still will have one occasionally)
I developed a craving for more preferable ones.  I hope that occurs spiritually as well and I won't have that dependence on God's gifts that should be reserved for God alone.


Mt. 5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled."

No comments:

Post a Comment