Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Specifics of the Fast.

So.. I plan on doing 9 forty day fasts in 2011.   Again, I know they are not "food fasts" but rather the giving up of things that are important to me.

Fast #1 - Regular food fast.  I have toyed with the idea of doing just water but I will probably focus on liquids such as juices and water.  I have done this once before and found it incredibly interesting.  I definitely have a new appreciation for food and and can still remember that Campbell's Italian Wedding soup I had on day 41.  My mouth waters just thinking about it.  I want to start with this to help prepare me for the other 8 disciplines.  I also have some struggles I would like to devote some concentrated prayer combating and can't think of a better venue to do just that.

Fast #2 - No Seeing.  Yes, blindfolds for over a month.  Yes, I went to the doctor.  He said it should be fine.  This is the one I am most anxious about because of the complete lifestyle change I suspect it will require.  This one may be the most humbling, needing large amounts of help from family and friends.  My eyes get me in trouble too much (guys I can hear your unified 'Amen').  I want to see in a new way, and can you imagine how beautiful that first sight will be?

Fast #3 - Spending.  Maybe Frugality.  I have decided to exempt my mortgage, utilities, tithing, and Christian relief fund.  This I suspect will be much more difficult than I anticipate.  Eating out, technology, books, useless plastic objects have become all too easy and available for a single man with no real debt.  To not get something when I want it.....well that is going to be rough.  Hopefully more fully realize how rich I am.

Fast # 4 - Silence.  Aren't you a preacher Danny?  Yes, I am.  And I am glad I have such wonderful, understanding and compassionate elders.  I am going to try some visual presentations and share some much needed silence in our corporate times together.  We will have a few guest speakers though.  This is one I am most curious about.  I did a day at the monastary a few years back and LOVED it.   If this is that times 40 I can't wait.

Fast #5 - Media.  No computer, TV, Movies, or music.  I am exempting my alarm clock for obvious reasons.    The TV and movies don't worry me but the computer does.  I feel I have become entirely too dependent upon it and need to recognize it as the blessing and tool it is, not allowing it to become a crutch.  I suspect this will open my eyes to how much the computer has become the spam of my life.  So much unnecessary time wasted and consumed.  I want some good ole face to face interaction.

1 comment:

  1. Are we going to get the other four fasts before you start fast #5?

    ReplyDelete