Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 14

Well I know its been a while since I have posted.  I have found that it is quite a bit harder blogging when you can't drive to a place with internet access or even pull up what you want if you were to get there without significant help, so thanks Shea for helping me today.  Well, its been an interesting week.  Winterfest with thousands of teens and and mischief-minded chaperons made it even more of an adventure that it it normally is.  I will have to say that everyone has been wonderful.  There has been just the right balance of help and respect people have given me during this experiment so that I don't feel like a complete heel asking everyone to help me all the time.  Being guided through crowds and accepting reliance upon others has been difficult but wonderful.  Everyone was great giving me warnings about landmarks and obstacles.  I heard that the crowds parted around me, so I felt somewhat mosaic.  The only difficulty seemed to be with the word "step".  Step for the blind is way too ambiguous.  Step up or step down? When do you start stepping, when do you stop stepping? I am sure we made for some comical viewing.
I am learning to perceive differently.  Sometimes as I am staring into the blackness vivid images appear in my sight, sometimes my imagination, sometimes my perception (which is always very inaccurate) of what a room may look like.  It got me thinking about 2 Cor. 5:7.  We live by faith, not by sight.  Losing one's vision dramatically reorientates how one interacts with the world.  Losing one sense changes everything.  What if we thought of faith as a sense?  Would the world change even more dramatically with or without faith than it would with or without sight?  I think so.
See, having a limited vision has not detrimentally affected my friendships and interactions with my friends and family in the least.  Sure, it is limited in some ways.  But in some sense it has been enhanced.  More time with those I love and who love me can only be a good thing right? Those relationships stay strong because they are based on faith and a mutual commitment to each other. A physical perception doesn't change that.
 Also, many interesting conversations with strangers have arisen, which is encouraging.
I definitely feel the way I think about things changing. I don't necessarily think about different things, just think of them in different ways.  I like it.  Well I don't want to ramble too much.  Just wanted to give an update.  I am alive and well and will try and be more consistent if I can.  Hope you are all well.  Hebrews 12:2 says fix your eyes on Jesus.  Follow this metaphorical admonition wholeheartedly guys and he will definitely change all our heart perspectives for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment