Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 13

Today I tried the potato, onion, and apple in that order.  To get a representative sample, I took a big ole bite out of each one .  They definitely all tasted different, although I must admit they had similar consistencies.  I did hear today that it is difficult for those who cannot smell to fall in love......so ladies.....you will have to wait at least a couple more weeks.

There is a condition associated with the lack of smell.  Its called anosmia.  It can be partial or complete and can be caused by injury, illness, or congenital defect.  What if I had a slight case of anosmia all my life?  How would I know?  Its not like there is an smell test most of us take similar to seeing the E at the top of the eye chart.  What if I have been living my whole life handicapped and didn't even know it?  I used to wonder this with sports.  What if I had a defective heart ........and really was trying harder that everyone else?  As a function of my limitations......and condition......... I could be the greatest ever.  lol.

The interesting thing about not having a measurable quantity or quality associated with your sense of smell
(or a multitude of other characteristics) is it really makes those hypothetical kinds of questions silly.  We have people that spend lots of time thinking about the "what ifs", but why?  At some point we have to run with what we know.  Jesus said from those to whom much is given much is expected.   Whether I am the 5 talent man or the one talent man I have to do the best with what I have.

Each of these 40 day stretches seem to be repeating this lesson to me.  I may not be able to do everything with my limitations (fasting, blindness, poverty) but why would I think my effort was somehow the primary agent in the equation anyways?  Yes, God wants my best but my best is meaningless apart from God.  God will use all of us who recognize our feebleness, weaknesses, and limitations far more than those who know how enduring, strong, and skilled we are.

Hope you are all doing wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment