Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 1 - Smelling

Day 1 of my smelling experiment.  I thought to get started I would do a little internet research on smells.  It seems that the olfactory system is much more important to our lives than what we may realize.  It helps us interact with the world around us.  Like taste it is the only sense that is deciphered through chemical processes.  We have two smell systems evidently.....thus two nostrils...lol.    These systems help us with memory and communication.  Interesting.  Maybe I will start remembering things more effectively or maybe I will have to communicate in different ways?  Its already been pointed out to me that I cannot hum.  Stink!!!! Well there goes about 80% of my verbal utterances....lol.

Well if I was a little sad about not getting to "suffer" enough during my spending freeze God is making up for it with this smelling stoppage.  This sucks.  I feel like I have a cold....well maybe not that bad.  I am developing a headache though because I desperately want to BREATHE.   Yesterday I worked outside all day....planting all sort of vegetables and flowers.  Today all those smells have gone.  Disappeared.  Sianara.  I love  my ability to smell.  I know "smell" may the red headed stepchild of the senses but it needs to take a back seat no longer.  Its hard for me to imagine being more grateful for it in 39 days than I am right now.

My "nonsmelling" apparatus is a $2.50 speedo swimmers nose clip.  I have only had it on for a few hours but already my nostrils ache.  I haven't been anywhere in public yet but I need to think of some good explanations to tell folks who ask me why I'm wearing it.  I though about whipping up some anger and grumbling, "the stench of humanity"..  That would be kind of a bummer though.  I want something a little more light hearted.

Well I'll leave you with this.  Quirkiness is a spice of life.  Be silly.  In the silliness you might learn something AND have some fun.


2 Corinthians 2:14-15 


 14 But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere. 15 For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.

1 comment:

  1. I think a good response to questions in public is, "What nose clip?"

    ReplyDelete