Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 5/6 Speaking

One of my favorite passages of scripture is Ephesians 4:29, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."  I have found adhering to this much easier when I am limited talking to and about God.  Its actually been a great tool I hadn't counted on.


For example, on Monday and Thursdays I do Meals on Wheels.  One of the college students, Candace, often goes with me on Mondays.  She is very talkative in general and would have been more comfortable than most creatively finding a way to have a mostly one sided conversation.  However, when she found out I could talk about Godly things, that is exactly what we did.  Now its not as if we normally only talk about ungodly things, but there is a significant difference between football and faith.


That is the positive side.  The negative side has been just as beneficial.  On Sunday I got aggravated at an individual.  Not an uncommon occurrence any day of the week.  I wanted so bad to talk to some other folks about this individual but couldn't.  See, I have this bad habit of cloaking my motivations.  I have this ability to vent about people while carrying on a semblance of care and concern for them.  Really what I want to do is complain.   Not healthy.  There is a time and place to address faults and grievances yet I've found that it generally needs to be addressed to the given individual.....not others.  Kind of a Biblical concept, eh?  Well anyways. This is a learning process for sure.  Just loving that I can do something like this.  Thankful for the ability to tell those around me how much I care about them.  Grateful I can lift up songs of praise to my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment