Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 10 - Speaking

One or two other advantages of not speaking I have gleaned.  1. When communicating via eraser board it is OK to "talk" with you mouth full. 2. You have by default more time to think about what you say before saying it.  3. You learn the value of the economy of words.

Colossians 4:6
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.



I think its important for your conversation to be full of grace.  I read recently that the average person speaks about 16,000 words/day!  How much grace do you think it takes to fill 16,000 words.  Methinks a lot!  How many of those words tend to be idle?  How many hurtful and destructive?  


If everyone could utter 16,000 grace filled words a day, this world would be a better place.  Words of grace are kind, compassionate, and generous.  They are given with love.  Seasoned with salt, to me, implies an intellect at the disposal of such love.  One can say something lovingly from their heart.  That's great.  Yet to say something so it will be understood as loving, is to speak grace filled words seasoned with salt.  


Its interesting how these words of encouragement are framed as a response....."so you will know how to answer everyone."  Responding to someone implies interaction.  There is connection.  If we just talk to someone......that connection is not necessarily present. 


I've been trying very hard for my words to find a voice of their own.  I want my written words to convey me well.  Who I am and what I think.  Its tough.  In some ways this has been harder than any of the others.  Yet one thing has become abundantly clear.  It is a wonderful blessing to have a voice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment